We met up with Malachy, the 2012 Westminster champion, and his owner, David Fitzpatrick, after his meet-and-greet at our Union Square NYC store. During our time together, we talked about grooming, how to look your best at all times, and what fuels a champion (hint: Purina ProPlan!), among many other things: Q: What happens [...]
[caption id="attachment_7912" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Malachy will be at the Union Square Petco on 860 Broadway, New York, NY this Sunday, Feb. 13th from 1-3pm for pictures and pawtographs."][/caption] New York City fans will have the special opportunity this Sunday, Feb. 10th to meet Malachy, the 2012 Westminster Kennel Club “Best in Show” winner. Malachy [...]
[caption id="attachment_7869" align="alignleft" width="143" caption="The soldier in the Military Working Dog Teams monument required 17 molds."][/caption] The nation’s first-ever National Monument to Military Working Dog Teams is progressing along nicely, thanks to donations by Petco customers, Petco, the Petco Foundation and Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Pet Foods. The monument represents the first time [...]
This holiday season, more than six million pets will enter animal shelters across the country. Shelters provide warmth and food to homeless pets as they try to find good homes with loving families. Helping shelters this holiday season is easy! Petco has partnered with Hill’s Science Diet to invite you to enter the Crazy [...]
This month we are celebrating National Service Dog Month by celebrating the tireless commitment made by canines both as service dogs and as military working dogs. Today at 6pm EST (3pm PST) we are talking with Natural Balance and Kristie Walker-Dober about Military Working Dogs and the Military Working dog Teams National Monument. Here’s [...]
[caption id="attachment_7136" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Are you going to be a part of Take Your Dog to Work Day?"][/caption] Friday, June 22 is Take Your Dog to Work Day. Haven’t heard of it? This holiday has been around since 1999, and was created to celebrate how having pets in the workplace makes for a happier, more [...]
Congratulations to the winners of our Reptile Rally Cold-Blooded Beauty Contest. We’d also like to thank everyone who participated. It was exciting to see all of your beautiful cold-blooded pets. Grand Prize Winner: Nikki Stoegbauer [caption id="attachment_7112" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Congratulations to our Cold-Blooded Beauty Contest Grand Prize Winner, Nikki Stoegbauer"][/caption] [...]
[caption id="attachment_6851" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Spice up your pic with costumes, if you have them"]
Thinking about bringing your pet to this weekend's Small Animal Picture Day? Great!
Here are a few tips to help make your photo-taking efforts well worth it--and give you a good chance at being a winner of one of our photo contest categories:
- Think about your pet's unique personality and play it up. Is he or she a ham? Capture that expressive face with close-ups. Very busy? Be ready to set your camera on "action shooting mode" to improve shutter speed and reduce blur.
- Our "sets" are designed to showcase your pet, but you can use that as just a starting point. Feel free to bring in props, such as a little paper umbrella, a rectangular piece of cloth (for a beach blanket), doll house props (baskets, glassware, tiny tables)--anything you think will make your photo that much more fun.
[caption id="attachment_6852" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Use accessories and props to create a mood or theme."]
- Have a costume? Bring it! Doll clothing can be fun. So can miniature accessories such as hats, sunglasses and scarves.
- Rats, mice, hamsters and gerbils move around quite a bit. Try to follow them with your camera, or anticipate the direction they are going to go. That way, you can "snap" in a snap!
- Try both landscape and close-ups of your pet.
- Try taking one photo at your pet's level. Close-ups of beautiful pink noses and whiskers can make for an adorable photo.
- Be ready to take a lot of pictures. It can take a lot of bad photos to get one good one. Delete all of the "almost got its" later.
[caption id="attachment_6853" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Even a tiny flower can be the perfect finishing touch."]
- Relax. It could be a bit noisy in the store, and if you're nervous, your pet may pick up on that, too. Smile, take a deep breath, and focus on your pet.
- Once you've reviewed all of your pics, be sure to come back and upload your best shot here
! Your photos need to be uploaded by April 8th to be considered for the contest.
Good luck and happy picture-taking!