Below are resources and tips as you prepare for Hurricane Sandy:
- Pet-friendly Red Cross shelters in PENN and NJ here.
- Click here for the Hurricane Evacuation Map.
- Red Cross Pet Safety information here.
- In the event you need to evacuate you need to take your dog with you.
“If your home is not safe for you, it is not safe for your pet,” said Tim Rickey, Senior Director of Field Investigations and Response with the ASPCA. When making your evacuation plans check to make sure any shelter or hotel you are going to is pet friendly. Rickey noted that New York City shelters are pet friendly, which many pet owners were not aware of for Hurricane Irene last year. Check with the shelters in your area to see if they will allow your dog. The ASPCA also keeps a database of pet friendly hotels on their website.”
Additionally, Dr. Marty Becker shared some of his disaster preparedness tips during a recent visit to Joplin, Missouri, on the anniversary following their devastating tornadoes. Get his recommendations here:
- Is your pet nervous during storms? Here are some tips to help alleviate stress.
- Need tips for rounding up scared pets? Watch here.
- How much food and water do you need to stock up on for your pets in the event of an emergency? Find out here.
- How do you let rescue workers know that there are pets in your home in the event that you need to evacuate without them? Watch here.
We anticipate store closures, so please watch for updates throughout the day. Please contact your local store to make sure it’s open before you stop by. You can find the number here.
Petco Stores Closed:
The following store will remain closed indefinitely. For further questions, please contact your store directly. You can find the number here.
157-20 Cross Bay Blvd., Howard Beach NY
Our stores are open, with five operating without power as of 11/5:
1111 Route 46 East, Parsippany, NJ 973-334-1925
9 Interstate Shopping Center, Ramsey NJ 201-327-5080
339 Pompton Ave., Verona NJ 973-571-9800
4735 US Hwy 9, Howell, NJ 732-942-7364
303 Route 35 North, Eatontown, NJ 732-389-4798
Please be advised that, in the event of any closures, all of the pets in our stores will be properly cared for, including evacuation, if necessary.