PETCO was notified today, Oct. 8, that Blue Buffalo was voluntarily recalling a number of specific production runs of their Wilderness Chicken-Dog, Basics Salmon-Dog and Large Breed Adult Dog products, due to their potential to contain a higher level of Vitamin D than is called for in their product specifications.
All PETCO store teams have been directed to immediately remove all affected product from our shelves and we’ve programmed our registers to prevent the sale of any affected product at checkout. We’ve also removed inventory of the affected products from PETCO.com.
According to a statement posted on Blue Buffallo’s website, the potential of increased Vitamin D presents no serious health risk, and any negative reaction to these products has been confined to a very small segment of the canine population who appear to be sensitive to higher levels of Vitamin D. The company says the decision to withdraw these specific products is “simply the right thing to do.”
The products affected by this recall are:
- 4.5 lb. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Formula Dog Food (UPC 859610002689)
- 11 lb. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Formula Dog Food (UPC 859610002702)
- 11 lb. Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon & Potato Recipe Dog Food (UPC 859610002863)
- 24 lb. Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon & Potato Recipe Dog Food (UPC 859610002870)
- 30 lb. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Chicken & Brown Rice Adult Dog Food (UPC 859610000388)
Only certain code dates of the above products are affected and no other Blue Buffalo products are affected by the recall. Customers who have purchased product affected by the recall at PETCO may bring it back and return it to us for a full refund.
For more details on the recall and for a list of affected code dates, read the full statement from Blue Buffalo or call Blue Buffalo at 1-877-523-9114.